Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Snowmageddon

Today has been utterly absurd.

Up until 4pm, everything was pretty much normal.  I took Darius to preschool, did homework/housework, snuggled December.  At 4:15, I packed up and headed out to my night class up at WSU.

Today a huge winter storm blew in- the weather people named it 'Gandolf,' of all things.  I wasn't really worried, but I did leave a few minutes early to account for the slower speeds everyone would be driving at.

It took me 2 hours to get to school. Not only was there a nasty storm, but it was rush hour, and it seemed like EVERYONE was on Riverdale Road. I got stuck in ice 3 different times, and one particularly bad stretch of 40th had every single car getting stuck in the same spot in turn.  I've never smelled burning rubber in a snowstorm before.

I finally got to school at 6:30, a whole hour late for my 3D Design class.  Thankfully my professor didn't hold it against me (what sane person would?) and the rest of class went pretty well.  

At 8, class broke up.  Being sensible, I checked the traffic and weather reports before getting in my car.

Problem was, my car wouldn't move.  It was very, very stuck in the parking stall.  I got in touch with campus police, turned on my emergency lights, and sat reading a  book waiting to be saved.

A Suburban pulled up, and the very nice woman driving it--Sara--and her sister, Rachel, set about trying to help dig me out.  The campus police showed up in the middle, and he helped us hook my car to the SUV.

Sadly, it didn't help.  My tires were/are so painfully bald that there was no way I was going anywhere in that weather.  So we stuffed the car back in the stall, and Sara very graciously offered me a ride home.  The officer seemed quite pleased with this, really- he didn't want me driving those on those bald tires and ending up in a ditch in the middle of a blizzard.

So Sara and Rachel drove me home, and even helped me pick up the kids from my mother-in-law's.  They were both lovely, and I am SO grateful that they went out of their way like that.  I was up a creek, and they arrived to offer me a paddle.  Faith in humanity restored!!!!

It was 10pm before we got home, but we got home safe and sound, thanks to the kindness of strangers.  Now I just have to figure out how to dig my car out of the WSU parking lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!