Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

patterns... ugh...

I need to give Simplicity Patterns a really good finger-wag of disapproval.

My son has this problem, where he's huge.  He's a little chubby, but mostly he's just square.  He inherited my bum, too, poor kid.  Which means that getting off-the-shelf pants that fit him is IMPOSSIBLE. So I've been making them myself, because I'm awesome like that.  I made my own patterns, but they were a bit frumpy, so I bought a commercial pattern.

This particular pattern claimed to be for kids with a 23" waist.  My son is 27" inches around from top to bottom, so I enlarged it a little and went to town.  Then, when I tried it on him, it was HUGE!!  The smallest pattern size would've worked. 

Basically, the numbers lied to me, and I'm a little annoyed that I had to do a bunch of extra work (fitting and unpicking seams and stuff) that I shouldn't have had to.

Also?  This pattern is only a very slight improvement over the ones I've produced myself, in that I think I've figured out through it how to accommodate my son's spacious derriere  The fly makes no sense, the waistband and button hole are just silly.... yeah.

Basically, unless they are Super Fancy, I'm never buying a pattern for kid pants again. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!