Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

baby piercings?

My daughter, who is all of 2 1/2, has recently started noticing things.  Like what kind of clothing she wears.  And the fact that Mommy gets to wear jewelry and she doesn't.

The other day, I was putting on some earrings, and I told December she can't wear them because she doesn't have holes in her ears like I do.  She said 'oh' and went on her toddler way.  My husband, however, asked "why not?"  Apparently he is on board with the whole piercing your little kid's ears thing.

1. I firmly believe that no one should get piercings unless they can care for it themselves.  I had my ears done at age 10 and still got a raging infection because I didn't take proper care of them. 

2. There are locking earrings for babies.  My niece swallowed hers anyway. 'Nuff said.

3. Honestly, piercings on little girls (or boys) distress me a little.  It's very grown up.  And I think they are too young to know if they are okay with someone poking a hole in their ears. 

I'm not saying parents who do this are bad at all.  I just have some reservations about it, personally, and figure if my husband wants to pierce December's ears he'd better have some really good counter-arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!