Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

I am seamstress of awesome

Look what I did!



I'm absurdly proud of myself.

No, not about the child, though she is pretty awesome.  I mean the pants! I did them all by myself, with no pre-made pattern, just with this tutorial.  Even so, I made a few alterations, and had to fudge it in a few places because the tutorial is not very specific about how to attach the pieces of the fly, though I figured it out all right.

I added in-seam pockets, butt pockets, I used a 'flat front', and put these v-shaped things on the back:



My kids have prodigious derrieres, like their mom.  I had to tailor the pants to fit December's butt- originally, without that change, it gaped to the point of absurdity.  I didn't want a lot of bunching from elastic, therefore this.  I think it turned out pretty good!

In the future, I'll go to a much narrower wasitband, lower the waist a little, and ditch the in-seam pockets for jeans-style ones (I don't like the bunching/poofing in the front) and get rid of the flat front thing.  Otherwise, these are awesome!  December certainly approves, especially of the bird print I used for the pockets and stuff.  Darius is madly jealous and keeps asking when I'm going to make him some pants.

These are corduroy, because the weather is getting cool and I happened to have some hand-me-down corduroy fabric in my stash.  I'll be making her some from denim next, probably.

Anyway, learning by doing rocks!!

1 comment:

  1. You did such a great job. You should show this to your grandma. I know she'll give you an atta'girl.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!