Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Boot Cuffs tutorial

I've been on  a quest lately to find cute patterns for either crochet leg warmers or boot cuffs.  It's been really hard! These patterns tend to be really messy and hard to follow, because pretty much all the patterns out there are put out by amateurs and they don't get beta-read or anything.  Well, these haven't been idiot-tested or anything, but I came up with these two boot cuff patterns and I hope you like them.


Shell Boot Cuffs

      Worsted-weight yarn (I used white Super Saver)
      H hook
      You'll also want to know the circumference of wherever on your leg it will be resting

1- chain 8
2- SC in 2nd chain from hook. SC across.
3- Chain 1, turn, sc across. Repeat until it measures your measurement minus 2 inches
4- Chain stitch edges together.
    You should now have a loop that should stay put on your leg without too much hassle, but isn't too snug.
5- On edge, evenly space out the following- 5 DC in one stitch (fan stitch), skip 2, 2 DC in one stitch.  You want to end on the 2 DC.
6- Slip stitch to 3rd DC of fan stitch, ch 4, DC in same, *fan between 2 DC, 2 DC in 3rd stitch of fan, repeat to end, slip stitch together.
7- ch 2, 5 DC between 2 DC, *2 DC in 3rd DC of fan, fan in between 2 DC, repeat to end, slip stitch together.
8- HDC in each DC of fan, sc in 2 DC, repeat to end, finish off.

You should end up with this:





Of course you'll want to make 2.



Ribbed Cuff


      Worsted weight yarn (I used the Hobby Lobby-brand soft yarn)
      G hook

      Make 2
1- ch 16
2- sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across
3- ch 1, turn, sc in BACK LOOPS ONLY across
    Repeat until long enough to go around leg minus 2.5 inches
4- ch 1, turn, sc 4, ch 2, skip 2, sc 2, ch 2, skip 2, sc to end
5- ch 1, turn, sc across (1 sc in each ch)
     repeat row 3 2x
Sew buttons onto beginning edge of cuff.  You now have a ribbed, button-up cuff!  Yay!



I haven't put the buttons on yet because my kids hid them, but here's a pic of it in progress.

SC in back loops gives you a pretty nifty ribbing effect, without the fiddlyness of some of the more involved methods of ribbing-making.  And it stretches really nicely.








And here are the shell cuffs on my legs:




I measured them to fit over my skinny jeans, which I am not wearing and am too lazy to go put on, so you get a nice shot of my rolled-up jeans and pasty legs instead :).  I know, I know, I'm too sexy for words, right?  Anyway, there will be a slight difference in the measurement depending on whether you want them over your jeans/pants or not, so plan accordingly! (With the ribbed cuff, you can just make them in the big measurement, then put on 2 sets of buttons- 1 jeans-measurement positioning, 1 bare leg).

So there you are! My solution to being unable to understand the boot cuff patterns I found :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!