Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

rant

Ok, I admit it.  I read fan fiction.  I know, this probably makes me a terrible person who has no right to criticize real published authors like I do in my college classes, blah blah. Whatever.  I've had an off and on relationship with fan writing since I was 12- both reading and writing it. 

Nothing makes me crankier than bad fan fiction.

Yes, many out there say it's impossible to find fanfic that ISN'T bad.  On some websites, this is painfully true (fanfiction.net is a particularly egregious offender).  But come on, people.  If you are going to dedicate a significant amount of your spare time to writing stories that take place in someone else's universe, at least take the time and brain power necessary to make sure you know the rules and the characters in that universe.  If you're writing Harry Potter stories, don't put blatant Americanisms in the characters' dialogue.  In Lord of the Rings, at least attempt to understand the social structure.  In Hunger Games, don't give people in the districts refrigerators. (I saw that one this morning and it made me mad.)   I mean, come on! If you really love the universe as much as you claim to, it should be no chore to do a little re-reading or research and make sure you are toeing the line, except where you are purposefully altering things in order to tell your story.  Of course, if you are altering things to the point that the only recognizable element of the original fandom is a few of the names, you would probably be better off just writing an original story.  Case in point- Cassandra Clare, author of a best-selling fantasy series, started out as a fanfic author.  She actually wrote one of the most insanely popular Harry Potter fanfic series in, like, ever.  So yes, it happens.

And yes, fan fiction can't get professionally published unless you write Star Wars stories. (I maintain that the Extended Universe, along with all those other spin-off books of movies and TV shows and such, are glorified fan fiction.)  But it is a great place to learn how to write a good story.  Beyond that, it's a place to learn how to write, period.  So if you are going to do it, do it right! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!