Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

sleepy babies

The easiest way to prove how different my children are is to observe how they fall asleep.

Darius is 1 1/2 and still refuses to fall asleep by himself.  He literally has to be physically restrained in some way, or absolutely exhausted.  There is some hope, in that he's starting to recognize when he's tired: if there's a blanket handy, he'll lay down on the bed/couch/floor and cover himself in it.  He will sigh heavily and stare off into space for a moment. Then he'll push the blanket off and resume being Crazy!Child, because all toddlers know there is no time for sleep when there is So! Much! To! Do!  At this point the restraint kicks in, be it a car seat, a bossy parent, or just being unable to get down from Mama's bed.

December is nearly 4 months old, and when tired will fuss.  She'll alternate between binky and thumb and be cranky until you finally put her down our of sheer irritation and walk away.  She'll roll onto her tummy (if she's not there already), stick her thumb in her mouth, and go to sleep.  Something like 80% of the time, she can't fall asleep while being held.  It's the one thing she's proven to be more advanced at that her mama's boy older brother.

I can't fall asleep when being actively held either, so her behavior has some precedence.  And my husband HATES sleep with a bright a fiery passion, and is known to fall asleep on the couch, wake up and play video games, then fall asleep mid-villian squish.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  And so, you get our kids, each of which is a miniature of one parent in terms of sleep habits.

Also, my son wakes up crying EVERY. NIGHT. He then gets in bed with us, if not there already (I am Big Boy Bed fail).  And my daughter ends up there too, because I will get her out of her crib without waking up. Go me! 

0olomvvvgbvgghgh

Pardon us, my son decided to write while I was checking on dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Feelings? Cries of dismay? Tell me about it!